Monday, September 15, 2014

Professionalism

Post #2

1) What is the specific job and company in the aviation industry that you would like to end up at? 
     In the case that I am approved for a flight contract in the Marine Corps, I will be attending Naval Flight School in approximately two years from now. Training begins with fixed-wing aircraft and I hope to select for either F/A-18, F-35, or AH-1 Cobras, depending on how well I do in flight school. 

2) Provide a basic description of the job and company that you listed in 1).
     With this career path I will be continually training to be a part of the nation's "force in readiness". 

3) Are there any safety/liability concerns with the job you listed in 1)? If so, what are they and how do you plan on mitigating these concerns?
      With any job in the military you assume the risk of being deployed to a combat zone in addition to the risks of flying some of the world's fastest aircraft. I plan to mitigate that risk by continually putting forth a great effort in all training I receive. 

4) I proposed that one theme in the events that led up to the Colgan accident was the lack of professionalism.  Answer the following three questions related to professionalism:

    * 1) Define professionalism in your own words.
                Professionalism is always conducting yourself in a respectable manner, obeying the rules and regulations of your organization, having integrity, as well as pushing yourself to go above and beyond your required tasks/responsibilities. 

    * 2) List two ways in which lack of professionalism was demonstrated in this documentary. Remember: Both pilots and management can lack professionalism.       - When the high ranking staff member suggested to a subordinate pilot to knowingly forge the records of when he arrived at work in order to get him on a flight home. 


      - When a Captain crossed out and edited a FO's weight and balance calculations to make it seem within regulations for the plane to takeoff. 

    * 3) List two specific ways you plan on maintain and expand your level of professionalism once you are employed in the job that you listed in 1). These ways must be independent of the requirements of the job.



      - I plan to maintain my level of professionalism by always completing any required education and professional development in a timely manner.
      - I will expand my level of professionalism by taking any opportunities for further and various training as well as continually pushing myself physically and mentality in order to set a great example. 

3 comments:

  1. Continually pushing yourself physically and mentally is a great way to continue your professionalism. Sometimes it's challenging if doing such things are not formal requirements of the job...but that falls into the definition of going "above and beyond".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the military path, I hope you get your fist choice on aircraft. I myself have been looking into the military but at the national guard. I know one concern for the military is valuing mission over safety, just food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice with going the Marine Corps path. I agree that professionalism is important to the Marine Corps and the Military service. Also, I think continuing education is a great way to set the example and to also mitigate risk.

    ReplyDelete